Fleet Performance Management
Many companies monitor business operating performance, profitability, accountability and are comfortable with setting business targets. More progressive organisations will include safety performance as part of their business monitoring. What is less common is businesses transcending these ideals to include the safety, performance and fiscal accountability of the fleet. Fleet Performance Management involves a number of risk management techniques and procedures, including Loss Reduction Targets, Incident Investigations, Analysis of incidents data and statistics, management of insurance and specific driving related performance indicators.
|Below average results in regulatory audits of fleet performance (where legislated) or in internal audits.||Regular reviews of crash data, fleet safety etc, with reports submitted to the Board or Senior Management.|
|No, or infrequent reviews of claims/loss/incident statistics and data.||Cascaded responsibilities to departments or regions within the organisation.|
|No specific targets to reduce numbers of incidents.||Higher “self-insurance” eg, higher excesses which encourages better internal incident prevention.|
|Unco-ordinated approach to managing the fleet from a safety perspective.||Employees performance indicators and objectives include driving safety.|
- Create measureable Objectives and Key Performance Indicators for Drivers, Teams/Divisions and the Company in respect of fleet safety, crash reduction etc.
- Establish regular reviews of claims data with your insurance broker, as well as non-insurance related crash data to establish trends, and identify suitable intervention measures.
- Seek approval from the Board, and submit analysis reports of a periodic basis.
- Involve the skills of Senior Departmental Management, Safety Officers and Fleet/Maintenance Managers.
- Encourage a suitable culture within the organisation to promote crash avoidance. Establish targeted loss reduction.
- Review your organisations “risk appetite” and review deductibles/excess, insurance cover etc.
Relevant Risk Topics and websites
- Risk Topic : Driver Incentive Programs
- Risk Topic : Fleet Safety Guidelines
- Risk Topic : Guidelines for Determining the Preventability of Accidents
- Risk Topic : Guidelines for Implementing a Motor Fleet Safety Programme
- Risk Topic : Guidelines for Reporting, Recording and Investigating Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Risk Topic : Self-Review of Management Responsibilities for Fleet Safety.