Cargo Insurance claims
You should always inspect your cargo on arrival.
If a loss or damage is discovered upon inspection, you should:
- Take all reasonable steps to minimise any further loss or damage and not dispose of any damaged goods without first giving us the opportunity to inspect it.
- Immediately notify your insurance broker.
- Note the loss or damage on the delivery docket when signing for receipt of the goods from the transport company and/or lodge a written claim against the carrier using your letterhead within three days of the goods being delivered. Here is an example that can be copied onto your letterhead with the relevant details inserted.
- Complete the appropriate claim form.
- The following documents will need to be provided together with the claim form. We do not require the originals unless specifically requested.
Australian Transits Import and Export Transits Local carriers consignment note with terms and conditions on reverse Good copy/ original Bill of lading/air way bill with terms and conditions on reverse Good copy/ original Invoice for the purchase or sale (as applicable) of the goods Copy Invoice for the purchase or sale (as applicable) of the goods Copy Documentation relating to out turn/receipt of goods Copy Documentation relating to out turn/receipt of goods Copy Quote for repairs/replacement Copy Quote for repairs/replacement Copy Your written claim against the carrier Copy Freight invoice Copy Carrier’s reply (if and when received) Copy Customs entry documentation Copy Any non-delivery, or short receipt, credit notes Copy Insurance certificate Original Temperature records (if applicable) Copy Your claim against the carrier Copy Carrier’s reply (if and when received) Copy Any non-delivery, or short receipt, credit notes Copy Temperature records (if applicable) Copy
- Send completed claim form and relevant documents to your broker or directly to us.
Depending on the size or type of loss, we may appoint a surveyor to inspect the goods and gather information. In the event that we do appoint a surveyor, the documents requested above should be made available to them as this will assist in the handling of your claim.
If your loss occurred outside of Australia, you should notify our appointed overseas claims agent. This information can also be found on your insurance certificate.
These claims forms are writeable PDFs. Download the relevant claim form and complete your details online. You can 'save as' a copy or print it out and attach your signature prior to submitting your claim.
Please send your completed claim forms to your broker or directly to us.
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
By post: PO Box 44 Melbourne VIC 3001
To download PDF files you need Adobe Acrobat Reader (new window).